Our history is traced to the old Orange Church, erected in 1732 on the Dr. Jennings Farm, located one half mile east of Ruckersville. On June 9, 1879, the church was moved to Ruckersville and called the Union Church. Early in 1890, three denominations organized–the Baptist, the Methodist, and the Disciples. The Masonic Lodge was to have the upstairs room.

On December 18, 1892, the Baptist congregation organized with 17 signers. Our first pastor was Rev. Thomas T. Grimsley of Culpeper who came by train to Barboursville each Friday evening. He was met by a member of the church and visited in members’ homes for the weekend and held church service on Sunday until his death in 1909. In 1906, the will of Mrs. Mary Sims Garr was probated and Mrs. Garr left $450 to help build a permanent Baptist Church at Ruckersville. Mrs. Garr lived in Kentucky but was formerly of Ruckersville–a stained glass window dedicated to Mrs. Garr is located at front left of church.



Members worshiped in the Union Church until 1908, at which time the present church was erected. Other additions include: second floor addition, nursery, classrooms and our first indoor bathroom –1954; a fellowship hall with kitchen and 2 restrooms –1972; and a handicap entrance, foyer renovation, a Sunday School wing with classrooms, pastor’s office and restrooms–1997. An outdoor pavilion was erected in 2006.

Burned but unbroken

Pastor Kyle Clements stands inside the burned-out sanctuary of Ruckersville Baptist Church. “Burned but unbroken…”

RUCKERSVILLE — The fire that heavily damaged the 90-year-old Ruckersville Baptist Church sanctuary Sunday (August 24, 2010) morning has been ruled arson, sheriff’s officials said. 





View following video “Rising from the Ashes”

A second fire, rekindled overnight Monday, destroyed the church steeple and caused additional smoke and water damage throughout the building, pastor Kyle Clements said.

Clements, who said he had gotten little sleep in the prior 48 hours, knew it was bad news when his home phone rang at 2:30 a.m. Sunday.

On the other end of the line was a church member in tears telling him the church was on fire. It was the third time in less than two weeks the church had been broken into and vandalized, but this time the vandals left behind more than broken windows and snipped electrical wires.

“It’s a heartbreaking thing,” said Clements, who has been the church’s pastor for more than 16 years. “When you have someone break into your church and then set it on fire, it becomes really personal. Breaking into the church is one thing, but arson brings it to an entirely different level.”  

Note: The information and photo regarding our fire was copied from web sources of THE DAILY PROGRESS (dailyprogress.com). The text is written by